In an effort to meet a goal I’m setting for myself in 2013 (post forthcoming!) I’m going to blog about stuff other than weekly updates again! I know this is terribly exciting news for all of my loyal readers 🙂 To begin, I’m going to look back on 2012 and chronicle my favorite moments/things/events of 2012. Here goes!
1. Baby B! – This can probably go without saying, but finding out we are expecting was definitely one of, if not the biggest, highlight of my year. To know that I not only have a life growing inside of me (as much as I may joke about it), but that I created that life with the person I love the most in the whole world is absolutely amazing and I’ve been lucky enough to have been able to love every second of it so far.
2. Half Marathon – I decided to train for the half marathon sometime in the spring, probably thought up when I was drunk (always a good time to make large decisions). It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, and required a lot of time and dedication, but I am so proud of myself for doing it. I could have easily bowed out and said ‘maybe next year’ but I sucked it up and did it and finished at my goal time (3 hours flat!). I’m so glad I proved to myself that I could do it, and have a feeling I’ll challenge myself to another one in the future!
3. Hubs – As I think back on posts I’ve written over the years, Robert doesn’t get much credit other than being silly or making things. But…there isn’t one person on this planet who makes me laugh the way he can, or makes me smile as often as I do as he does. Not to get too sappy here, but all of that ‘he completes me’ stuff? It’s true. We can talk about anything (sometimes it takes a while for some topics but we always get there). I love just sitting and being with him, not needing to do anything (read: I don’t need to do anything, he is always doing something ;)) and I love him so much more for it. He’s truly my other half. This year was a good year for us for many reasons and I can see how much we grow day by day, and how strong our marriage gets. I am excited to continue this in 2013 and for many, many years! <3
4. Friendships – A goal of mine at the beginning on 2012 was to strengthen my good relationships and move away from bad ones. I absolutely love my girlfriends (you know who you are) and am so glad for the strong friendships we’ve formed over the past few years, and how much we grew this year. I couldn’t have hand-picked a better group of girls to share my good and bad days with and feel so incredibly lucky to have each of them in my life. Words can’t truly describe how much I love these girls.
5. Starting my job – I was unemployed from March to December of 2012. It was probably one of the hardest, most emotionally taxing times of my life. That said, I’ve had a great life, one that has been pretty easy (thank you mom and dad!) so this was a big shock. And there is a big difference in not having a job by choice and not having a job not by choice. It was ridiculously hard. And finding out a reference was giving me a bad reference, that didn’t help boost my confidence any either. But I pushed on and found my current position as Marketing Coordinator at Moseley Architects and I could not be happier with it. They say everything happens for a reason, and maybe it 9 months off was the reason I got the job at Moseley, but whatever the reason, I’m so, so thankful for it. I love the people I work with and work for, I love what I am doing, I love the challenges, and I’m excited to keep it going for a while! I will be taking several (12ish) weeks off for Baby B, but I will be returning to work after that and I know the girls I work with will help make the transition easy. It’s a great place to work!
6. Our puppy – I’m an animal person. I cry if I hit a squirrel (which I’ve never done…I have hit a possum and that was just gross…) so I remember in late 2011 ‘helping’ my friend Courtney out (she runs the dog rescue Bonnie Blue Rescue – it’s amazing, check her out!) by ‘fostering’ a puppy for two weeks over Christmas. Robert agreed to ‘foster’ even though he knew, even before we picked him up, that we’d be keeping this dog! Stout has been such a fantastic addition to our family. He’s a pain in the ass sometimes, he chews shoes and hats, and he got a pillow yesterday, but for all of the times he’s bad or obnoxious, there are 15 times he’s adorable. He’s such a snuggler, he loves to cuddle, he plays so hard and then just crashes, he loves his girlfriend Belle so much and freaks out whenever we say her name. He is the best dog ever and I know we both love him to death (even though Robert denies it sometimes :))
7. Travels – We took some great trips this year! Charleston to visit family, Outer Banks for the Wine Festival and fun time, Key West for Heather and Will’s wedding, St. Thomas and BVI for family vacation, Wytheville for the family reunion, and more. They always included great friends and/or family and were always so much fun! It’ll be tough in 2013 to do as much, but we’ll try to do as much as we can! We are incredibly lucky to do as much as we do!
There are so many amazing things that happened in 2012 (I had to look at my facebook timeline to remember them all!) and I will be amazingly blessed to have as good of a 2013 as this past year. Although something tells me it might be even better 😉