What happens when I get bored? I get crafty. This can be anything from making new jewelry to pulling out the ‘ole saw and cutting some wood. I say ‘ole saw like we are good buddies, but honestly, today is the first day I’ve ever used the thing, but we got along swimmingly. I’ve had a little pent up frustration lately, and what better way to release some stress than by cutting and drilling some wood.
We’ve been talking for a while about building some over-the-rail planters to put on our deck that we can set our peppers and herbs in that can withstand gusts of wind. We lost several terra cotta pots last year thanks to some windy days, and hopefully these guys will prevent that.
Pocket screws (1 and 1/4″)
Here are my plans…don’t mind the blob at the upper right hand corner, apparently that’s what happens when you don’t use an eraser for a while.
The table saw – thanks to the husband for letting me use it. I don’t typically get along with power tools well. Or fire. Have I mentioned that?
Here are my 4 27″ 1″x4″ boards for the sides.
And my marks for cutting the end pieces, which were angled, since they needed to be 6″ at the bottom and 8″ at the top.
Side boards and end pieces all together (note, the board all the way on the right was originally going to be the bottom of the planter, but since these are ‘over the rail’ planters, I decided they didn’t need bottoms, since the rail is the bottom, but did have to rip two of them in half to have enough 1″x4″s to make 2 planters, so it worked out 🙂
Using the Kreg jig to drill pocket holes in the side boards…which ultimately was a mistake since I wanted the side boards on the outside of the end boards, so I had to redrill all of these stupid little holes in the end boards…ugh. P.S. this guy is a LOT easier to use with a full battery on your drill. If you start loosing juice, recharge, seriously, it’ll save you blisters. Just trust me.
How the jig looks from my perspective…
And the finished products in action 🙂
Yay! My first wood-working job = success! Funny how the first one took about 3 and a half hours to make, the second one took about 20 minutes, hah!