The other morning, I was sitting at the kitchen table enjoying a nice cuppa-joe with Joe (no, seriously, Joe’s my dad, he was in town, it was too easy a joke to not use!) when he oh-so-blunty reminded me that there are only about four months left until the wedding (!!!) and that “surely there is a lot left to do, right?” Yikes! It’s never good when the dad is reminding the bride of all she needs to do!
After I worked up the energy to find out what all I had left to do, I went to many-a-brides favorite website, TheKnot.com. In a few short seconds, it seemed as if TheKnot.com was yelling at me, telling me that not only are there merely 128 days until our wedding, but that there are also a lot of things on my ‘to do’ list that I haven’t done yet. Or thought of doing. Or thought they needed to go on a ‘to do’ list in the first place?
I took TheKnot.com’s angry ‘to do’ list (from here on out, it’s the TDL…) and took off the things I know I wouldn’t need on a TDL (like purchase wedding bands – um I’m pretty sure most brides remember that part…) and compiled my own personal “Wedding TDL.”
Let’s get overwhelmed, shall we??
1. Assign wedding party duties – Ok, so I’m not sure what this means yet, but I think it might be one of those things that once I work my way down the TDL I’ll figure it out.
2. Hair style – I have given my wedding day hairstyle a thought or two, but I’ve not nailed down anything yet. This one’s all about personal choice though.
3. Rehearsal dinner – We know where we want to have it, and as of about 2 months ago, they were available. I hope that’s still the case…
4. Finalize menu with caterer – This part I have done a little bit with. I’ve been in touch with our rep at the caterer to decide on desserts and such – I would assume he’d remind me about finalizing the menu…right?
5. Order wedding invitations – Yes, I’m crafty, and yes, I would love to make my own invitations (as I’m sure you already know from previous posts), but I’ve determined I’m too much of a perfectionist to do them myself. Therefore I’m contracting that part out to a friend from college. She is very creative and crafty and I love her style, I know she’ll come up with something amazing!
6. Rentals – Oh right. Rentals. I guess the reception venue wont have everything we need. This is going to be done through the caterer. I’m pretty sure he was supposed to email me info on that. This should be moved to the top.
7. Centerpieces/Flowers – CHECK! (well…not totally check…I mean, I know what I want to do…but obviously I can’t do it yet…and I do need a florist for corsages and boutonnieres…uncheck….
8. Hotel for wedding night – Uhhh…haven’t looked into that one at all yet. It can wait though…right?
9. Book honeymoon – CHECK CHECK CHECK! (and updates too come!)
10. Pick Bridesmaid accessories – I’ll come back to this later…
11. Tuxedos – picked out! so CHECK!
12. Wedding Bands – duh.
13. Favors – To do or not to do…???
14. Pick out ceremony songs/readings – we’ll go over this in the 3rd meeting with our Pastor.
15. Transportation – We’ve been over this a few times and haven’t settled on it yet. I’m thinking normal size limo for the morning for the girls transportation to hair appointment, then to church, then BIG limo for whole wedding party for transportation to reception…?? $$$
16. Liquor, Wine & Beer – Since we are providing our own alcohol, we just need to figure out what we want to get, whether a keg is a good idea, plus some bottles, and types of wine, etc.
17. Marriage License Requirements – do what?
18. Trial Hair Appointment – Booked
19. Gifts for wedding party – still coming up with ideas on this one…
20. Reception music – list of ‘definitely play’ and ‘definitely do not play’ (now, which one does the Macarena go on again??)
21. Guestbook – still coming up with ideas for this one also
22. Address & Mail Invitations – Thank goodness my wonderful Aunt Jean has beautiful penmanship and has graciously offered to address all of our invitations, you know, as soon as we get them 🙂 CHECK!
23. Old, New, Borrowed and Blue – haven’t gotten this far at all!
So, I’ve definitely left some things off, and there are some things on here that probably should have already gotten done, but I’m not perfect 🙂 I’ll get started on what I can and hopefully get some of these things marked off…hopefully!